amonstercalledme

Let's Talk About Books

An out of practice reader discussing the books I get around to reading.

The Corn Maiden and Other Nightmares
Joyce Carol Oates
Progress: 70/365 pages
The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins)
Katee Robert
Progress: 160/318 pages
Evil Under The Sun
Agatha Christie
Progress: 30/213 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 202 out of 321 pages.

Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings - Christopher Moore

I have a problem. I haven't been sleeping well the past few weeks and let me tell you it is SUPER fun to work with at risk teens on five hours of sleep. So I've been trying to sleep more this week. Except I have this book. And it's amazing. And I can't stop reading it. I thought I had more control than this. But I guess I don't.

Anyway, the book continues to be awesome. The whaley boys are so weird but some of the best characters I've ever encountered. Scooter and Skippy in the humpback are my favorites. Especially Skippy and his meeps. I don't know where Moore got the idea for them but it is a genius idea.

I seriously want to know where he gets the ideas for his chapter titles. Like, "The Inner Secrets of Cetacean Sluts" or "Scooter Don't Meep". Seriously, the chapter names are just as funny as the writing itself. They make the book even more fun, which I think is the best thing about this book. It's a fun book. I can just get lost in it and have a good time.

Final note: There is not one character I dislike in this book. Seriously, they're all lovable in different ways. I have a hard time reading books where I loathe a character (see Why I Haven't Read Order of the Phoenix Since High School), so I appreciate that even the dislikable characters are lovable.