amonstercalledme

Let's Talk About Books

An out of practice reader discussing the books I get around to reading.

Hex
Thomas Olde Heuvelt
Progress: 33/448 pages
Ararat: A Novel
Christopher Golden
Progress: 144/320 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 132 out of 369 pages.

The Martian - Andy Weir

I got side tracked from this one. Dan Wells and Christopher Moore seduced me away and now I'm finally getting back to it. And I will finish this book because I really wanna see the movie. I had to threaten my siblings with Star Wars spoilers because they wouldn't shut up about it. Also if I finish it before the movie leaves theatres, it could make for a fun date with Laundromat Guy. Just saying.

The important thing is to just finish the book.

I REALLY like Watney. He's so endearing as a narrator and he's made me laugh so many times. I died when he sent NASA the boobs text. I kind of wonder what went through Weir's head when he created the character. Like, did he set out to make a hilarious character or did it sort of just happen? I like the way it deviates from traditional survival characters though. Now, I'm not well versed in the survival genre, but the stories I've encountered have the character be a hard core, super serious person. The immediate example that comes to mind is Liam Neeson in The Grey. But Watney is funny and light hearted. It's a great change because it makes it easier to enjoy the intense survival nature of the story.

Maybe it's because it's been a while since I read it last, but I do find the amount of characters a little hard to juggle. I haven't counted it against the book yet, since I'm betting right now that it's just me. We'll see how it goes moving onwards.

Overall though the story is still very fun and I'm excited to see how it all ends!