amonstercalledme

Let's Talk About Books

An out of practice reader discussing the books I get around to reading.

The Snowman
Progress: 151/294 pages
Ghostland: An American History in Haunted Places
Colin Dickey
Progress: 34/336 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 308 out of 608 pages.

Illuminae - Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman

"I watch the societal instinct bind them into some kind of cohesion. Watch the ones who retain the most of themselves leading the rest, gibbering and snarling, up the yellow brick road I have laid.

Off to see the Wizard."

Good. Lord. That line is beautiful. Absolutely stunning. Even said it out loud when I read it. Just stunning.

I've been in an odd mood today and figured I would read. I'm glad I did. The story continues to amaze and leave me with chills. I thought after the Phobos section that that would be the only section to leave me breathless. Not because the rest of the book would be lame, just it wouldn't peak like that again. And I was wrong. Very wrong. And I'm happy to be wrong. You know what the book kind of reminds me of? The Syfy show Helix. Only it's better than Helix. I haven't stopped enjoying this one.

There is one complaint I have about the book but it's fairly minor. I find the gushy talk between Ezra and Kady a little fake. Like, not how actual teenagers would talk. For example:

You deserve every star in the galaxy laid out at your feet and a thousand diamonds in your hair. You deserve someone who'll run with you as far and as fast as you want. Holding your hand, not holding you back.

It's very lovely writing. Like, don't get me wrong, I think it's very beautifully written. I just don't know any teenagers that talk like that. So it threw me off a little. Then again, I'm not a teenager and my idea of sweet talking is "You're so tall I literally have to climb you" (L.G. is 6'2", I'm 5'4". Cuddling can be awkward.) So I don't know. It's not gonna make me knock a star off of my final review or anything. Just bugged me a little. I'll get over it I guess.

Final thought: I'm halfway through the book. The conflict with the Lincoln was my biggest concern and now its over. So now I'm wondering, what the HELL is gonna happen in the rest of the book? I'm scared but so, so excited to find out.