amonstercalledme

Let's Talk About Books

An out of practice reader discussing the books I get around to reading.

File M for Murder
Miranda James
Evil Under The Sun
Agatha Christie
Progress: 30/213 pages

Lazarus, Vol. 1

Family - Michael Lark, Greg Rucka, Stefano Gaudiano, Brian Level

I got this one on a whim. Why? Because the cover is REALLY cool. I love the artwork of it and it made me want to know more about the woman on the cover. She also reminded me of a character of mine that I created in high school and have started to revisit. So yeah, A+ for the cover. It's amazing.

Unfortunately the art of the story itself didn't quite do it for me. It wasn't bad, it was just a different style from the cover and it didn't quite outdo the cover art. The art style of the comic book is like the art style from Telltale Games which isn't bad but again just isn't my favorite of art styles.

The story is fine but a little lackluster. Volume 1 is definitely about setting the scene and introducing us to the characters. There's a lot of action but very little going on plot wise in my opinion. And by the time I had finished I was still confused by some of the world building elements, like what Waste meant and what the difference between a Serf and Waste were. I kinda got the idea, but I wish the world building had been just a little bit clearer. That said, there were parts where I couldn't stop reading because I had to know what happened next. So the stories all right, just definitely an Act 1.

The characters were either hit or miss. Forever and the other Lazarus (can't remember their names) were both cool, as was the head of the Carlyle family. They were probably the most developed and clear of the characters. The rest of the Carlyle children kinda blended together. They were just different enough that I did't get terribly confused, but they didn't really stand out to me. Hopefully that's improved in further volumes.

Overall I enjoyed this graphic novel. It's a good start to a series and if I find the sequel I'll be sure to check it out. The first volume set up just enough that I'm curious as to what happens next.

Final rating: 3 out of 5 stars