amonstercalledme

Let's Talk About Books

An out of practice reader discussing the books I get around to reading.

The Snowman
Jo Nesbo
Progress: 68/550 pages
Ghostland: An American History in Haunted Places
Colin Dickey
Progress: 34/336 pages

Updated List

First off, thanks everyone for their sympathies over Fezzik. It was super sweet of you all. His siblings, Saffron and Richard, are doing well according to my mom, so I'll still have two little reading buddies to cuddle when I go home over labor day.

I'm not gonna bother with the graphic this time because I'm lazy, but I have updates to my list. Again, if you know of any suggestions let me know!

1. Read by candlelight or flashlight: A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness - Seems like a good one to read by flashlight. Sort of set the mood.

2. Magical Realism: The Accident Season by Moira Fowley Doyle - This was recommended by Moonlight Murder (who I would tag if I could figure out how!) and it sounds interesting and like a quick read.

3. Witches: Vassa in the Night by Sarah Porter - This book doesn't come out until September 20th but I'm adding it because I am SO excited for it. Vasilisa the Beautiful is one of my favorite fairy tales, and Baba Yaga's a witch, so it counts.

4. Genre - Horror: The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty - Technically started this one a while ago but I'm waiting to finish it when the bingo challenge starts. Hopefully that's not cheating.

5. Black cat:

6. Diverse writers can be spooky fun!:

7. Ghost stories and haunted houses: The Turn of the Screw by Henry James - I've heard really good things about this one. And a cocktail recipe I could drink while reading it. Just saying.

8. Young Adult Horror: The Bargaining by Carly Anne West - It's a reread but I've been looking for an excuse to dive into it again, especially since I rushed through the end.

9. Scary Women (Authors): Cuckoo Song by Frances Hardinge - Started reading this one yesterday so hopefully that's doesn't count as cheating, like The Exorcist.

10. Reads with friends: The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gillman - Libromancer's Apprentice alerted me that a lot of people plan on reading this one so I figured it'd be a good one.

11. Grave or Graveyard: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman - This one's more tentative, because I want to see if my mom has it first. But it was recommended and it is a good option.

12. Genre- Mystery: Suicide Notes from Beautiful Girls by Lynn Weingarten - I think it's a mystery. Sounds like one, anyway.

13. Free Space!

14. Gothic:

15. Creepy Crawlies: The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone - Spiders, man. That's a big nope for me. But I gotta.

16. Fall into a good book:

17. Locked room mystery: And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie - One of my favorites and deserving of a reread.

18. It was a dark and stormy night: Batman and Psychology: A Dark and Stormy Knight by Travis Langley - I don't know why I didn't think of this one sooner! I'm a little mad at myself for forgetting it. I've had it for several years, now is the time to finally read it.

19. Set in New England: I'm debating something Stephen King. Maybe It since I saw Char's Horror Corner is planning a buddy read sort of thing around it.

20. Full moon: Lora's Rants and Reviews recommended anything with werewolves. Hopefully I can find something really scary.

21. Vampires vs. Werewolves: 30 Days of Night by Steve Niles - Found it at a used bookstore. I saw bits of the movie and always found the concept completely fascinating.

22. Supernatural: Mr. Monster by Dan Wells - Got it for Christmas and am dying to reread it.

23. Classic Horror: Dracula by Bram Stoker - I've been wanting to read it since I rewatched Dracula: Dead and Loving It last month.

24. Pumpkin:

25. Set on Halloween: There's a Trick or Treat graphic novel I saw a while back. If I can find it again, maybe that one.