amonstercalledme

Let's Talk About Books

An out of practice reader discussing the books I get around to reading.

File M for Murder
Miranda James
Evil Under The Sun
Agatha Christie
Progress: 30/213 pages
SPOILER ALERT!

The Twilight Wife

The Twilight Wife - Lisa A. Banner

I'm not saying this book could be a soap opera, but...

The Twilight Wife follows Kyra Winthrop as she recovers from a diving accident that cost her at least four years of her life. Helping her is her husband, Jacob, as they live a charming life on Mystic Island, off the coast of either Seattle or British Columbia, not sure which. As time goes by, though, and as Kyra's memories come back to her, she starts to realize that things, especially Jacob and the nature of her accident, are not what they seem.

This book is advertised as a psychological thriller and it does get there. The last third of the book was awesome and I finished it fairly quickly. The twists were original and while I saw the final twist coming, it was still a good one. Not some weird copout twist. Banner did a really good job of leaving all the clues and connecting them all together in the end.

The characters were okay. I did like Kyra though she easily got on my nerves in a lot of places, since she reads as really naive and a total pushover. Which, there are people like that in the world, so it was realistic, just frustrating. Jacob I disliked from the start. He was creepy and controlling and it was so obvious. I wish Banner had been much more subtle with him because it is obvious that he's up to something sinister. Part of the reason the final twist wasn't that surprising. The other characters were okay, just nothing really memorable.

My favorite thing in this book is the setting. I love the sound of Mystic Island. The Pacific Northwest is my favorite kind of landscape and I would love to have a vacation place up there. We're going to the area in May and this book only made me more excited for that. Her descriptions of nature and the island are really incredible and I give her full credit for that.

The reason I'm giving this book 3 stars is because, enjoyable as it was, it was so dramatic. It reads like a soap opera, especially with the amnesia thing. Most of the book is just Kyra feeling like a burden because she can't remember things she and Jacob did in the past. The plot is there, the execution is just full of melodrama where it makes it hard to get into it as a psychological thriller. For example, the overwhelmingly obvious fact that Jacob is not a great guy. Just a little more subtlety would have done wonders for this book.

Final rating: 3 out of 5 stars. It's okay. Nothing spectacular, a fun read, and one I might pick up again if I need a quick read but I'm not in a hurry to get to again any time soon.