amonstercalledme

Let's Talk About Books

An out of practice reader discussing the books I get around to reading.

I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer
Michelle McNamara, Patton Oswalt, Gillian Flynn
Progress: 122/352 pages
NOS4A2
Joe Hill
Progress: 100/692 pages

The Chalk Man

The Chalk Man - C.J. Tudor

Funny story: My loan LITERALLY expired when I only had 13 minutes left. Luckily, I was able to recheck it out immediately and finish it. That's the only downside to Overdrive: Very strict loan periods.

Overall, I liked this one quite a bit. Tudor is a good writer and the plot was engaging enough that I wanted to keep listening and finish the story. The crafting of the mystery was the strongest element. When everything wrapped together in the end, I was impressed. For the most part, no detail went unused but nothing felt like a copout either. The story built up well and for the most part, had a satisfying conclusion.

Really there's nothing that makes me go "BAD WRITING, MINUS STAR"! I just found the story a little average. Enjoyable, well written, just not spectacular. The story also felt long at points, like I just wanted to get through the section so I could find out what was actually happening. I was also disappointed when I found out the secret of the Chalk Men.

There is none. Everything has a rational explanation.

(show spoiler)

I did like Chloe though. She was a fun character. I wish she had a bigger role.

Final rating: 4 out of 5 Stars.