amonstercalledme

Let's Talk About Books

An out of practice reader discussing the books I get around to reading.

House of Small Shadows
Adam Nevill
Progress: 183/320 pages
Coldbrook
Tim Lebbon
Progress: 58/656 pages
In cold blood: a true account of a multiple murder and its consequences
Truman Capote
The Haunting of Hill House
Shirley Jackson, Laura Miller
Progress: 10/182 pages

Fellside

Fellside - M.R. Carey

FINALLY FINISHED! Woo!

I remember someone (I THINK Char's Horror Corner but might be wrong) saying this book a ghost story but not horror and not really a ghost story either. To quote Crimson Peak, It's a story with ghosts in it. And that's a really accurate way to describe this book.

I found Fellside to be a really beautiful story. There's no denying that Carey is wonderful when it comes to using language in a way that's fresh and emotion-provoking. There were so many places in this book where I had an emotional response simply because of how he phrased something. It's really incredible what he can do with words and language. The way all the plot points wove together in the end was also masterful and well thought out.

The use of ghosts in this story is really beautiful. I mean, REALLY beautiful. There's a lot of imagination behind it and a truly comforting notion behind why they remain present and how they can help or hurt our lives. The way a certain ghost is able to remain with their certain loved on (no spoilers) was so sweet and left me ending the book feeling so warm and fuzzy. The ghosts felt more human than the living, which I think is an interesting concept.

The biggest drawback to this novel is I feel it lacks the tension to keep picking it up, if that makes sense. When I was reading it, I devoured it, but it wasn't hard to put down and I wouldn't feel too motivated to start reading again. It wasn't that I didn't want to know what happened next, it just didn't have any hooks in me. Not the worst thing in the world but something that I do consider a drawback.

Final rating: 4 out of 5. Not necessarily a gripping novel but it will tug at your heartstrings and leave you feeling warm and fuzzy when you're done.

Next up: Gotta finish In Cold Blood, AND I managed to get ahold of I'll Be Gone in the Dark from the Library. Exciting times!